The combination of excellent teaching and world class research across a wide range of subjects makes a Russell Group university an ideal place to study. Expect to be challenged.
Students interact with leading thinkers and academics at the forefront of their disciplines. They have access to first class libraries and facilities and a curriculum informed by world class research. Undergraduates have opportunities to engage in research themselves and undertake independent projects while learning alongside motivated and talented peers. There are also programmes for work-based learning, internships in coveted professions and tailored guidance to help students consolidate the skills which are valued by employers.
This research-rich environment creates the ideal conditions for students to develop their creativity, analytical skills, problem-solving, as well as their team working and communication. These attributes are highly sought after by employers and will enable students be successful in their future lives and careers.
The value of the academic experience at Russell Group universities is reflected in a number of ways:
- The high competition for places, with an average of around seven applications per place across Russell Group universities, and up to 20 applications per place for some courses;
- student satisfaction rates – the National Student Survey, the NUS/ HSBC survey and the i-graduate international student survey all found higher rates of satisfaction with the teaching quality at Russell Group universities;
- completion rates Russell Group universities have the lowest drop-out rates in the UK;
- progression to further study Russell Group universities have some of the highest percentages of undergraduates proceeding to postgraduate study;
- employer demand. Research has shown that studying at a Russell Group university attracts a salary top up of approximately 10% over a lifetime compared with other graduates. This is even when other factors affecting wages have been taken into account such as A level scores or parental background.